It's a very rare opportunity to meet a group with the bravery, strength, and kindness as the Anti bullying group of Dublin. Meet with them yesterday was an eye opening experience on the rights and services uses by those with intellectual and developmental disabilities. They have a voice and are ready to be heard.
Each member shared their experiences, from encounters with rude strangers on the bus to services not meeting their needs.
They are incredibly capable people who deserve to have choices in where they live and who assists them, and I believe they will make big changes for their community.
For the rest of the time in Dublin, we will be with Bridge 21. Today we teamed up with the students, age ranging from 13-17, and collaborated on videos to capture American and Irish culture. I felt like I was sixteen again... And loved it. Not that the age gap is that large, but the mind set was a huge change. As I'm approaching my senior year, I try to make adult decisions, adult conversations, and etc, but I think everyone needs a break from that some days.
It was great to hear their slang, joke with them, and really hear their opinion of the school system.
They are a great group of kids that are a part of something bigger than they realize, a new beginning for classroom dynamics in Ireland.
-devin
No comments:
Post a Comment